Saturday, May 3, 2014

Homeschool Kindergarten Weekly Recap

Lately we've been taking a gentler approach to homeschool Kindergarten.  We've been spending less time on worksheets and 'formal schooling', and more on reading together, doing artwork, nature studies, and LEGOs/ games.  The main reason is that I've had less time for homeschool planning as I'm wrapping up a software engineering project that I've been working on for the past 2 years (I'll announce it on my blog when it's officially done).  The secondary reason is that although the kids have been enjoying our school routine, I felt that they both needed a break, and I've been inspired by Charlotte Mason and Thomas Jefferson Education philosophies to 'inspire' more than 'require'.  Here's what we've been up to the past 2 weeks:





Read Aloud

Minn of the Mississippi - we're reading a couple chapters a week and learning so much about biology, geology, history, geography.

The Ordinary Princess - we finished this book and everyone love it.  At first, I wasn't too excited about reading another princess story (chosen by L), but this one was unique and sweet and beautiful.

The Fairy Doll - The author, Rumer Godden, is an amazing storyteller, and the kids were captivated.

Horse Diaries #1: Elska - this is E's choice (who loves horses).  It's historical fiction about a horse growing up in Iceland 1000 BCE.

Independent Reading

Pinkalicious: Puptastic
Charlie the Ranch Dog
Little Critter: To The Rescue
One Fish, Two Fish
The Cat in the Hat
The Best Mistake and Other Stories
Little Bear
Frog and Toad All Year

 Art


I let the kids choose their own art cards (as we learn about famous artists), and draw their own masterpieces inspired by those artworks. 

The other day I let E color in one of my adult coloring books and she learned about Spring Peeper frogs, which are tan with an 'X' on their backs.  The following week,  E made here own rendition of the Spring Peepers.  I love the one that is partially in the water.  She's been working a lot with perspective lately.


Bananas!

For more learning and fun, please join Learners in Bloom at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! No spam, please.